So, let me illustrate the picture of inspiration for you. It is a Wednesday, 9:30 p.m. the room is 110 degrees with 40% humidity. The heat and intensity is overwhelming. The person next to me has already given up and the person in front of me is losing intensity as we continue down this grueling hour long journey. I haven’t thrown in the towel yet….but I am having a constant conversation in my mind that sounds like this… “let me just stop for a second, is he crazy, I can’t do that, I am going to pass out, I am strong, I can handle this, just breathe, stay focused, the more you push, the stronger you will be, imagine how you will feel when this 60 minutes has been accomplished….”
The entire reason I am sharing this experience with you is because as I was having a strained dialogue in my mind, the instructor who worked out 5-6 hours a day was coaching. He was actively coaching the entire class through the thoughts that were creeping into our minds trying to convince us we couldn’t….. I was inspired by his coaching and his words and wanted to share them with you.
I feel they are important to share with you not only because as leaders and humans, we are coaching ourselves and each other everyday. In most cases, we are coaching and we may not even realize the opportunity we have in front of us to make a difference on someone else’s path. When your mind is pulling you in directions that tell you to lay down on the floor and give up or just to stop and take a rest, below are some coaching words of wisdom to help you think twice about throwing in the towel.
• Energy is not created or destroyed, energy is transferred to create transformation…what energy are you transferring and what are you transforming?
• Train like an animal, perform like an athlete
• Vulnerability is power
• What are you willing to become?
• It is easy….you can do anything for 30 seconds
• Somewhere, someone out there would love to be doing what you are doing….give your best for them.
• Create your brand by the small actions….the small actions create integrity and definition.
• What brand are you creating?
• I workout too you know…I am not going to pretend it isn’t hard…it is hard.
• Be explosive with control…
• This may be the last time you do this…don’t take it for granted.
• Pretend as if this is the first time you have every done this…everyday is a new day.
• Focus on technique over number of reps….work with purpose.
• This is not a work out…it is an opportunity.
• Overcome fear with aggression.
• Don’t quit…finish the drill
• What kind of warrior are you?
• Practice being dynamic and you will perform dynamic….
To Growth and Purpose,